If you live in an area with heavy snowfall, clearing driveways, sidewalks, and other outdoor spaces can be challenging. While snowplows attached to trucks or tractors are a common choice to clear snow, some people also wonder whether they can use a snowmobile. Can you put a plow on a snowmobile?
Yes, you can put a plow on your snowmobile. However, you need to know what you are doing before deciding.
Let us explore the feasibility of putting a plow on a snowmobile. Keep reading!
Related: How Much Weight Can A Ski Lift Hold
What Are Snowmobile Plows?
A snowmobile or a snow plow is a device attached to the front of a snowmobile to clear snow from driveways, sidewalks, and other outdoor areas. It typically consists of a metal blade angled to push snow to the side and a mounting bracket that attaches the blade to the snowmobile.
Benefits Of Using A Snowmobile Plow
As with every other snow equipment, snowmobile plows can be helpful in harsh snowy weather. There are several benefits to using a snowmobile plow to clear snow. Here are a few:
It Is Compact
A snowmobile plow is a compact and maneuverable device that can easily navigate tight spaces and hard-to-reach areas. It is ideal for clearing snow from sidewalks, narrow driveways, and other places where larger vehicles cannot fit.
It Is Economical
A snowmobile plow is often less expensive than a traditional snowplow. Snowmobile plows typically cost a few hundred dollars, while larger snowplows can cost thousands.
It Is Fun
A snowmobile plow is a fun and unique way to clear snow. If you already own a snowmobile, adding a plow attachment can make it a helpful tool for clearing snow and making your winter activities even more enjoyable.
Can You Put A Plow On A Snowmobile?
Many snowmobilers have successfully attached plows to their machines and used them to clear snow. However, there are a few things to remember before you attach a plow to your snowmobile:
- First, you need to ensure that your snowmobile is powerful enough to handle the added weight of the plow. A heavy plow can affect your snowmobile’s balance and stability, making riding more challenging.
- Second, you must ensure that your snowmobile has enough traction to move the plow through deep snow. If your snowmobile has less traction, the plow may get stuck or become difficult to maneuver.
- Finally, you must ensure the plow attachment is compatible with your snowmobile. Different snowmobile models may require different types of plow attachments.
So it is essential to research and finds a plow designed to work with your specific snowmobile.
Choosing the Right Snowmobile Plow
If you’ve decided to attach a plow to your snowmobile, there are several factors to consider when choosing the right plow for your needs. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
Snowmobile plow blades come in various sizes, ranging from 4 feet to 6 feet or more. A larger blade will be able to clear more snow, but it will also be heavier and more challenging to maneuver.
Consider the area size you need to remove and the amount of snowfall in your area when choosing a blade size.
Snowmobile plow blades consist of steel or polyethylene. Steel blades are more durable and can handle heavy snow and ice but they are also bulkier and can rust over time. Polyethylene blades are lighter and won’t rust, but they may not be as durable as steel blades.
Plow Mounting System
Several plow mounting systems are available for snowmobiles, including front-mounted, mid-mounted, and rear-mounted systems. Front-mounted systems are the most common and allow the most maneuverability, while rear-mounted systems are better for heavy-duty plowing.
If your snowmobile doesn’t have power steering, consider a plow with a power steering system. It will make it easier to maneuver the plow, especially in deep snow.
Installing A Snowmobile Plow
Once you’ve chosen the right snowmobile plow for your needs, it’s time to install it on your snowmobile. Here are the basic steps for installing a snowmobile plow:
- Mount the plow bracket to the front of your snowmobile, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Some ATVs have a hooking area underneath them, you will have to check your model.
- Attach the plow blade to the mounting bracket using the included hardware.
- Adjust the blade angle to your desired position, ensuring it’s angled enough to push snow to the side. In the modern era, you can find plows that you can adjust automatically from your snowmobile, so depending on the model, you might not have to worry too much about that.
- Test the plow to make sure it’s securely attached and functioning properly.
Following basic safety precautions is vital to avoid accidents or injuries when using a snowmobile plow. Here are a few essential safety tips:
- Wear appropriate protective gear, including helmets, goggles, gloves, kneepads, vests, and boots.
- Follow all local laws and regulations regarding snowmobile use.
- Be aware of your surroundings and potential hazards, such as hidden objects under the snow or uneven terrain.
- Stay within your snowmobile’s weight capacity or attempt to plow too much snow simultaneously.
- Always turn off your snowmobile and remove the key before attaching or removing the plow.
Snow Plows You Can Check Out
There are plenty of options in the market for buying snowmobile plows. Here are the top 5:
Polaris is a well-known brand that produces a variety of snowmobiles and accessories, including snow plows. Their plows are durable and easy to install, and they offer a range of options to fit different snowmobile models.
Moose Utility Division
The brand specializes in producing high-quality snow plows for snowmobiles. Their plows are made from durable materials to withstand harsh winter conditions.
The company produces a range of outdoor gear and accessories, including snowmobile plows. Their plows are known for their durability and ease of use, and they offer a range of options to fit different snowmobile models.
They are known for producing a variety of off-road accessories, including snow plows for snowmobiles. Their plows can last long and handle heavy snowfall and demanding winter conditions.
Kimpex is a brand that produces a wide range of snowmobile accessories, including snow plows. Their plows are known for their durability and ease of use, and they offer a range of options to fit different snowmobile models.
These are just a few of the top snowmobile plow brands to consider. It’s always a good idea to research different brands and read reviews from other snowmobilers to find the best plow for your needs.
Also read: Snowboarding vs. Skiing For Beginners
Putting a plow on a snowmobile is viable for clearing snow from outdoor areas. With the right snowmobile and plow combination, you can quickly and easily remove snow from driveways, sidewalks, and other regions. However, it is essential to choose the right plow for your needs and follow basic safety precautions when using it.